Where the Poem Takes You or Where You Take the Poem?
Frequently I am asked where I get my inspiration from and I would have to say there is no one place; there is something deep within that is touched and words flow on their own. The ancient Greeks believed muses were conduits for which one derived inspiration and there are countless biblical accounts of how God spoke through his profits and poets are prophets. The commandment of poet is to tell the story or give account of the human experience. Poetry causes the reader or audience to reflect and react. It is from this ebb and flow that poetry has changed lives and has given a voice to those who would ordinarily be unheard. HBO's Brave New Voices is great demonstration of how creativity can save a life. Poetry for youth is one of the best antidotes for aggression and risky behavior.
Some common themes for me are my children (students) and love (not marriedyet) but the when and where one can find a poem, you may find interesting, so here are my top 10 places to find inspiration:
10. In the lady's room in the morning is where I get a lot of my best literature
9. My girlfriends¦sistah talk is full of color and humor
8. After a long talk with Jesus
7. Before walking right into what I will later pray that God will forgive me for¦temptation is a mother!
6. Hope for a particular out come or prayer manifestation
5. A quote or message
4. Love in all its carnations
3. Music¦Nina Simone, Sade, Bob Marley, Santana, Coltrane, Monk, John Lennon and the list goes on.
2. Silence¦sometimes the stillness can bring out the best work
1. My heart¦I have learned to always be true to it and it has guided my pen every time
Please support local authors and please support poetry.