The special Cinco De Mayo, May edition of the Sunset Lounge series and MALIBU RED produced undoubtedly the hottest ATL event of Spring 2013. Known as Atlanta's favorite day party, the SSL hosted over...
Adam Yauch better known around the world as MCA from the Beastie Boys passed away one year ago (tomorrow) after fighting a battle with cancer for 3 years.
Today in Brooklyn Heights (Brooklyn, NY) Palmetto Playground was renamed to Adam Yauch Park after MCA. As Hip Hop started out in the parks of New York City it's pretty amazing to have a park named a rapper, especially in a fancy place like Brooklyn Heights. Would be great to see this open the door to other dedications, maybe we'll see a Scott La Rock park in the Bronx? Who knows.
The Legendary Roots Crew have been in the game for 20 years now. Before appearing on television nightly with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots toured endlessly around the world doing something close to 200 shows a year. In between hitting the road hard, the crew always found time to hit the studio to work on 10 albums.
14 years after releasing "Things Fall Apart" in 1999 The Roots Crew finally have a platinum album after their belt. Pretty amazing considering in 20 years, I can only remember one song "You Got Me" feat. Badu receiving any airplay on commercial radio.
I still have my copy of "Things Fall Apart" with the same cover art pictured above. Here's some more info about the project.
The February, 1999 MCA Records release boasted two singles, including the Grammy Award-winning "You Got Me" featuring Erykah Badu and Eve, along with "The Next Movement," which featured DJ Jazzy Jeff, along with The Jazzyfatnastees. The mainstream breakthrough LP from The Roots included extensive production from then-member Scott Storch and contributions from J Dilla (as Jay Dee). Guest emcees included Common, Mos Def, Beanie Sigel and Roots Crew mainstay affiliate Dice Raw.
Upon release, Things Fall Apart, which had five different album covers, debuted at #4. The other Roots album plaque belongs to 2002′s Phrenology, which is certified gold.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ROOTS... Proof that if you keep building things don't always fall apart.
Gucci Mane announced his return to the free world via Instagram. Gucci's return to society will be well documented with mixtapes, club appearance etc. But, hopefully he choose to stay out of trouble this time. #Burrrrr
For those who did not know, Gucci been incarcerated on probation violation on a U.S. soldier. He was also indicted on those charges. The outcome of the case is still pending.
The passing of Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelly shocked the hip-hop community because it only seemed like yesterday when the teenage duo, who wore there pants backwards hit the national scene. Immediately after the announcement on Chris Kelly passing many assumed it was due to his recent reported health illness. However, today TMZ is reported the death is due to lethal combination of "Heroin and Speed".
I will not be too quick to pass of TMZ accusation or story as credible. Remember, this is the same media outlet reporting Lil Wayne was being given his 'Last Rites'. But, here is what is being reported:
11:22 AM PT - A rep for the Fulton County Medical Examiner tells TMZ, the autopsy has been completed and there were no signs of trauma or foul play. The cause of death will be determined by the complete toxicology report in 3-4 weeks.
"Kris Kross" rapper Chris Kelly had been using a combination of cocaine and heroin the night before his death, this according to the police report obtained by TMZ. According to the report, paramedics initially responded to Kelly's Atlanta home around 3 PM EST - after his mother called 911 asking for medical assistance. When help arrived, paramedics found 34-year-old Kelly lying on the living room couch - unresponsive and with "no life signs." The medics attempted to revive Kelly, to no avail. Kelly was immediately transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead a few hours later. After the death, cops spoke with Donna Kelly Pratt - Chris' mother - who told police ... the night before Kelly's medical emergency, he had taken a mixture of heroin and cocaine - commonly known as "speedballs."Donna told police she had personally taken Kelly home to recover from the drug use ... just as she had done several times before. Donna told cops Kelly had felt nauseous all morning before passing out.
Super Model British Black Girl, Naomi Campbell, 42, has been in a 5 year relationship with her Russian billionaire boyfriend, Vladimir Doronin, but now its on ice. They are "taking a break" is the word. *side-eye*
Naomi Campbell, how are you taking a break from somebody's husband tho? I actually love Naomi Campbell with all of her fits and fabulousness. While I would never want to be known for my outbusrts and a**whoopins, I get that her behavior and beauty keep her on the cover of magazines...and frankly thats her job! And she does it WELL!
However, I chuckle when I think about the fact that Naomi Campbell has taken Side Chick Status to a whole other level! Vladimir Doronin is fione and all but he has been married to the same woman, Ekaterina for over 30 years! And they have a teenage daughter!
Vlad's relationship has not stopped Side Chick Superstar, Naomi Campbell, from getting her's though!!...Here are 10 reasons why Naomi Campbell is a Side Chick SuperStar:
1. She is side chick to a Billionaire Real Estate Mogul, not the bus driver in the apartment upstairs!
2. Naomi Campbell may be a Side Chick SuperStar, but she stays with 'em for a while! She has been dating old boy since 2008! Most of us cant keep a LEGIT boyfriend that long!
3. Naomi might be a side chick, but her man doesnt slip her weave money-she gets houses built! Doronin is building Campbell a futuristic mansion-in Moscow!! She got that Coco Vino!!...and wait...she is in Moscow-like his wife!! #ClutchThePearls
4. Vlad Doronin happily appears in public with Naomi. She doesnt get typical side chick treatment! They are holding hands and making plans!
5. Naomi Campbell likes a side of business with her pleasure! Business is one of the reasons that Naomi Campbell and Vladimir Doronin are together is a mutual benefit besides the "freak factor." When Naomi Campbell walks into any of Doronin's hotels and properties-people notice...and want to visit and do business with him. In turn he keeps her lined-up! So Naomi gets to be an unofficial spokes model for his business for a fee....hmm...I mean if you are going to be doing it-do it right.
6. Naomi's life does NOT revolve around Vlad's! She has a mighty career that has spanned a few decades! Right now her Model show "The Face" is a Hit and she is on the Cover of Vogue Brazil.
7. She still gets her party on with or without Vlad. While Naomi and Vlad have been photographed many times, she just rocked the Oscars solo and dished.
8. She isn't tripping. Vlad has been seen partying in the States with a particular blonde. Naomi is Kanye shrugging-at least publicly. And we all know that Naomi is famous for that Nasty attitude! She knows her role and realizes that she is NOT the wife.
9. She gets the "break up to make-up" drama. She knows that good sex and another phat RING or pricey gift is on the way.
10. Naomi Campbell isnt trying to be the wife-she actually has the better life.
I am a Seething Side Chick Hater, but I cant really hate on Naomi. Vlad's wife kno
Award winning controversial Ghanaian rapper/songwriter ASEM is ready to give his fans one of the most highly anticipated videos of the year. The song' Wasted' which is enjoying massive airplay and has become a weekend anthem for party heads is the first single of Asem's third studio album TOUGH TIMES DON'T LAST. The video was [...]