|Mon, August 01, 2011 at 3:52 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
A fistfight that began near a family unity festival headlined by funk musician George Clinton ended in gunfire, killing one and injuring three, Cleveland police said on Sunday.
During the fight in a parking lot near the concert venue on Saturday, one teenager produced a handgun and shot four people. One victim, a 16-year-old male, died from a wound to the head Sunday morning, Cleveland police spokesman Sammy Morris said.
A 20-year-old female wounded in the neck was reported as stable on Sunday, while two males who received gunshot wounds in the leg are expected to be released shortly from hospital, Morris said.
The names of the victims have not yet been released, he said.
The shooting occurred about three quarters of a mile from the Luke Easter Park locale where the annual "Family Unity In the Park" festival headlined by George Clinton & the Parliament Funkadelic was held. Authorities believe the incident is unrelated to the event.
"George Clinton and the other bands are basically from back in the 80s, that's when they were at the height of their popularity," said Morris, saying that over 75 percent of the crowd was likely over 40. "It's not like it was a Little Wayne concert or something when you have a bunch of 16-, 17-, 18-year-olds."
Initial reports on the incident put the time of the shooting at 9:55 p.m., according to an official of the Cleveland investigative unit for homicide, which is handling the investigation.
George Clinton and his band were due to take the stage at the free family event just after 8 p.m., according to an announcement for the concert.
Luke Easter in eastern Cleveland is the largest urban park in the state of Ohio, according to the Family Unity in the Park website. The park has also hosted political leaders such as Jesse Jackson and John Kerry.
"Bring your family, your blankets, your lawn chairs, your picnic baskets, and your grills for this family celebration. There will be a kiddie park for kids, health screenings, voter registration, information booths and more," the promotional website for Saturday's event stated.
No one has been arrested and investigators are asking for anyone with information about the incident or suspect to contact Cleveland Police.
"It's still ongoing, still an open investigation," Morris said. "It started with a fistfight, that's the one consistency; a fistfight that ended with the discharge of a weapon."
By Molly O'Toole | Reuters
(Writing by Molly O'Toole; Editing by Jerry Norton
|Thurs, June 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
Sean "Diddy" Combs has settled a multimillion dollar lawsuit with three people in a 1999 shooting involving his protegee at a Manhattan nightclub, one of the victim's attorney said on Thursday.
An attorney for one of the victims, Natania Reuben, confirmed the settlement but declined to give further details, saying the settlement that occurred earlier this year was bound by a confidentiality agreement.
"I can confirm it happened, but I can't say anything else because of the confidentiality agreement," attorney Debra Reiser said.
The civil lawsuit stemmed from a December 27, 1999 incident in which Diddy, his then-girlfriend Jennifer Lopez and rapper Jamal "Shyne" Barrow were taken into custody following a shooting scuffle at the now-defunct Club New York in Times Square.
Barrow, who began shooting a gun in the melee, was later convicted of assault in shooting two bystanders who were wounded, while Reuben was wounded in the face by bullet fragments and in 2008 filed a $130 million lawsuit for compensation.
In his criminal trial, Barrow said that the shooting was in self-defense, after another group of men with whom Combs and Barrow had an altercation with started shooting.
Representatives from Diddy's Bad Boy Records, now a subsidiary of Interscope, could not be immediately reached for comment. His spokeswoman did not immediately return a query for comment.
Barrow, 33, was released in 2009 after serving nine years of a ten-year sentence because of assault, weapons possession and reckless endangerment charges stemming from the shooting. Shortly after his release he was deported back to his native Belize.
Combs and an employee of his, Anthony Jones, were acquitted on weapons charges.
The New York Post quoted former Club New York Owner Michael Bergos - who did not sign the confidentiality agreement - as saying that Reuben received $1.8 million in the settlement and that the other two victims received $50,000 and $500,000.
"I did nothing wrong and I may need to talk about (the incident) sometime in the future," Bergos told the Post.
(Reporting by Bernd Debusmann Jr., editing by Christine Kearney)
|Thurs, January 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
Rapper G. Dep is facing a murder charge after walking into a police station to confess to a long-cold case, but he isn't regretful — he's relieved, his lawyer says.
"He had been haunted by this," attorney Anthony L. Ricco said Thursday after the rapper pleaded not guilty to charges including murder and manslaughter in the 1993 shooting of John Henkel. Defendants generally plead not guilty early in their cases, even if they've confessed, to allow evidence-gathering, legal arguments and any plea negotiations to proceed.
G. Dep, who had hits with "Special Delivery" and "Let's Get It" and helped popularize a loose-limbed dance called the Harlem shake in the early 2000s, turned up at a police precinct last month to say he'd shot someone as a teenager during a robbery in East Harlem. Detectives matched details he provided to the slaying of Henkel, who was shot three times in the chest outside an apartment complex.
The rapper, now 36, has said he didn't know the victim died until police told him so.
Ricco said he planned to analyze the rapper's statements and other evidence to see what charges he believes fit the case.
Born Trevell Coleman, the rapper was one of the rising stars of hip-hop impresario Sean "Diddy" Combs' Bad Boy Records label in the late 1990s and early 2000s. But G. Dep saw his career slump after his 2001 debut album, "Child of the Ghetto."
He became mired in drug use and racked up a roster of low-level arrests in recent years, though he has tried a number of addiction-recovery programs, Ricco said.
Meanwhile, he digitally released a new album, "Ghetto Legend," last year with a new label, Famous Records, which focuses on releasing music online.
Now being held without bail, G. Dep could face up to life in prison if convicted of murder. But the married father of three doesn't rue turning himself in, his lawyer said.
"I get the sense that he's relieved," Ricco said. "We have some people who say, 'Well, he was stupid for confessing.' On the other hand, there are a lot of people in life who say it's the first step toward redemption."