Send a Message
It's The Boombap for
It's The Boombap for
It's The Boombap for
Return of the Boombap : On Radio | Online | On Our Grind
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
When President Donald Trump has something to say, you'd best believe he's taking to Twiter to say it. The controversial president decided to address more pop culture issues when he tweeted about the scandal involving NASCAR's Bubba Wallace. Recently, someone reported that there was a noose hanging in the lone Black NASCAR driver's garage, but after an investigation was conducted, the FBI reported that the noose was not a target toward Wallace, but a tied rope that had been in the garage for months.
People accused Bubba Wallace of staging the incident for sympathy, however, Wallace wasn't even the person who found or reported the rope to authorities. That didn't stop President 45 from giving his Twitter finger a workout. "Has @BubbaWallace apologized to all of those great NASCAR drivers & officials who came to his aid, stood by his side, & were willing to sacrifice everything for him, only to find out that the whole thing was just another HOAX? That & Flag decision has caused lowest ratings EVER!" Trump wrote.
In response, Bubba Wallace decided not to shade America's leader but instead posted a lengthy message about perseverance in the face of adversity. "You always have people testing you. Seeing if they can knock you off your pedestal," the message reads. "I encourage you to keep your head held high and walk proudly on the path you have chosen." Read through Wallace's message in full below.
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
She's tackled roles throughout her career that have set her apart as one of Hollywood's elite, but Halle Berry's forthcoming portrayal of a trans man has caused a bit of a stir. The Oscar-winning actress found herself to be the topic of heated discussions, especially within the LGBTQIA+ communities. According to the website Pink News, Halle was discussing her role and said, “[It’s] a character where the woman is a trans character, so she’s a woman that transitioned into a man. She’s a character in a project I love that I might be doing.”
Paras Griffin / Stringer / Getty ImagesHalle reportedly also said, "It's really important to me to tell stories, and that’s a woman, that’s a female story – it changes to a man, but I want to understand the why and how of that. I want to get into it.” It didn't take long for critics to hop on social media to condemn portions of Halle's remarks. To begin, many people took issue with a non-trans person portraying a trans character. Then, some people were upset with the pronouns and descriptors Halle Berry used in describing the character as "she," "it," and "female."
The actress has yet to address the backlash, but here a few responses below.
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 2:15 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
The Verzuz battles have provided endless amounts of entertainment as cities and states shut down. People were couped up inside but Timbaland and Swizz Beatz still provided a sense of live music to the world. Sure, it was a celebration of artists but hip-hop's competitive nature has sparked several rappers challenging others. Juicy J, for example, said that he'd take on Dr. Dre. Lloyd Banks recently asked fans who he think would be a fair opponent. T.I also challenged 50.
View this post on InstagramWe love POWER / For LIFE/ BMF & everything u doin on 📺.... Now pull up and catch this Trap Muzik fade big fella.... @50cent @verzuztv @therealswizzz @timbaland #24hrsToRespond Repost if you ain't scared of this nigga @50cent Hook this shit UP‼️ I AINT SCARED OF THIS NIGGA👑 Westside Zone1 Atown BANKHEAD SHIT UDIGG ‼️ITS DA KIIIIIIING BIIITCH‼️ -drops mic 🎤
A post shared by TIP (@troubleman31) on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:45am PDT
"For your birthday, I offer you a challenge, sir. Pull your ass up with 20 of your records, sit across from me, and get this work, man," T.I. said in a birthday message to Fif before referencing the 2007 battle of Curtis vs. Graduation. "But, I understand if you don't want to answer to that challenge. Because last time you got challenged Kanye West dusted your ass off, so, you might not wanna do that. Well, guess who ain't scared of your mothafuckin' ass, 50?"
T.I. even invited Fif to bring the records with Dr. Dre, Eminem, and G-Unit. Fif quickly responded to T.I. with a reference to Ice Cube's iconic stoner comedy, Friday. "yo somebody passed TI the weed they gave smokey in Friday. LOL," he wrote on Instagram.
T.I. quickly responded on Instagram with a lengthy rant where he explains just how confident he is in his catalog.
View this post on InstagramBring me the Bully‼️ Y'all scared of Cuzz... NOT ME‼️ @50cent 👀
A post shared by TIP (@troubleman31) on Jul 6, 2020 at 3:30pm PDT
Who do you think would win in a 20-song battle? Sound off in the comments.
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
Over the past few months, Swizz Beatz and Timbaland have brought fans across the world together in the midst of a pandemic with Verzuz. Tim and Swizz have brought together artists like Teddy Riley, Babyface, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Fabolous, and Jadakiss into the fold. It's possibly one of the best things to come out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Following the highly entertaining battle between Fabolous and a drunken Jadakiss, Lloyd Banks has expressed interest in partaking in the Verzuz. Well, maybe not interested but he did entertain the idea of participating on Twitter earlier today. One fan tweeted, "I wanna see @Lloydbanks in a #Verzuz battle." Though Lloyd Banks is a rather elusive figure on social media, he quoted the tweet asking, "Against who?"
Immediately, fans began pitching possible contenders. Lloyd Banks vs. Styles P was one of the more popular suggestions. Others said that Lloyd Banks should face off with The Game.
Still, fans were egging on the idea of a Joe Budden vs. Lloyd Banks battle. Just as Verzuz started to pick up steam, the idea of that battle was initially shut down by Budden who claimed he would wash Banks. He later apologized before chopping it up about the possible outcome of that battle. Of course, Joe would have to come out of retirement first.
Who do you think Lloyd Banks should go up against? Sound off in the comments.
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
Many in the hip-hop world are celebrating 50 Cent's 45th birthday today, but fellow rap king T.I. decided to offer him a special b'day treat in the form of a formal challenge to compete in a round-for-round battle in the currently popular VERZUZ series.
Image: Prince Williams/Wireimage T.I. made it known that he wants all the smoke with 50 via Instagram, using his platform with 12.6 million followers to send the New York rap king a three-minute-long verbal challenge from the self-proclaimed King of the South. He called on Swizz Beatz and Timbaland to get involved in setting things up, and he even followed up by contacting fellow birthday boy Kevin Hart to see if he could help get the ball rolling as well. While it's possible that 50 Cent is too busy planning his birthday shenanigans to respond or, you know, laying low after offending black woman with his recent "exotic" comment, it would be pretty fire to see these two go at it in a Dirty South vs East Coast square-up.
See T.I.'s official call-out to 50 Cent below, and let us know who you think would win this battle down in the comments:
View this post on InstagramWe love POWER / For LIFE/ BMF & everything u doin on ??.... Now pull up and catch this Trap Muzik fade big fella.... @50cent @verzuztv @therealswizzz @timbaland #24hrsToRespond Repost if you ain't scared of this nigga @50cent Hook this shit UP?? I AINT SCARED OF THIS NIGGA?? Westside Zone1 Atown BANKHEAD SHIT UDIGG ??ITS DA KIIIIIIING BIIITCH?? -drops mic ??
A post shared by TIP (@troubleman31) on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:45am PDT
View this post on InstagramHappy Gday @kevinhart4real Now tell @50cent cmon and catch this fade.... matter fact I'm looking for a jet.... To pull up on HIM at his Lil Birthday Party or whatever.... I Wanna See What He Talkin Bout!!!! #TheSouthGotSomethingToSay And GodDamnit IM SAYING IT!!!! @verzuztv Repost if you ain't scared of this Nigga @50cent
A post shared by TIP (@troubleman31) on Jul 6, 2020 at 1:40pm PDT
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 1:04 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
In a statement released by Jimmy John’s Monday afternoon just hours after the clip went viral, the restaurant is confirming that it has fired the employees from a Georgia branch of the sandwich chain involved in a video depicting one employee lowering a noose made of bread dough around the neck of another employee.
The incident happened at a Woodstock chain of the restaurant on July 4th, where at least four employees participated in making a noose out of bread dough mocking lynching, filming the ordeal and laughing hysterically about it. Watch the disaster for yourself below.
As soon as the video began to gain traction across social media, Jimmy John’s made it clear that the actions of these employees do not represent the restaurant and its brand. “We have zero tolerance for racism or discrimination in any form. The franchisee has taken immediate action and the employees have been terminated,” tweeted the restaurant. “The actions seen in this video are completely unacceptable and do not represent the Jimmy John's brand.”
In an official statement posted to their Twitter account this afternoon, the restaurant confirmed that all employees involved had been fired, writing, “The actions sen in the video are absolutely unacceptable and do not represent the Jimmy John's brand or the local franchise ownership team. As soon as we were alerted to the video, we notified our franchisee, who quickly investigated and terminated all employees involved."
They added, “The franchisee is also meeting with their team to conduct training to help prevent anything like this from ever happening again.”
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 12:43 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
Kaepernick is a busy man these days, striking production deals left and right. In his latest venture, the former NFL quarterback will have his journey from the San Francisco 49ers to civil-rights activist chronicled in a docuseries developed by ESPN Films as part of a first-look deal between Kaepernick's production company Ra Vision Media and Walt Disney.
The partnership intends to focus on developing scripted and unscripted stories that deal with race, social justice, and the struggle for equity, as well as work to showcase directors and producers of color.
"I am excited to announce this historic partnership with Disney across all of its platforms to elevate Black and Brown directors, creators, storytellers, and producers, and to inspire the youth with compelling and authentic perspectives," Kaepernick said in a statement regarding the deal. "I look forward to sharing the docuseries on my life story, in addition to many other culturally impactful projects we are developing."
The new series will use new interviews in addition to never-before-seen archival footage that documents the most recent years of Kaepernick's life. Jemele Hill, the renowned sports journalist, will serve as a producer on the project.
"During this unprecedented time, The Walt Disney Company remains committed to creating diverse and inclusive content that resonates and matters," added Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger. "Colin's experience gives him a unique perspective on the intersection of sports, culture and race, which will undoubtedly create compelling stories that will educate, enlighten and entertain, and we look forward to working with him on this important collaboration."
"Colin has had a singular path as both an athlete and an activist, and, as the nation continues to confront racism and social injustice, it feels particularly relevant to hear Colin's voice on his evolution and motivations," said Jimmy Piatro, ESPN's president.
This new deal extends Kaepernick's reach into media and entertainment. Just last week, a Netflix scripted series on the former quarterback's life was announced to be in production, with Ava Duvernay serving as the project's producer. He is also rumored to be returning to the NFL soon.
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 12:37 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
A Black man from Indiana says he feared for his life during a heated encounter with a group of white men captured in a viral video from this Fourth of July weekend.
Vauhxx Rush Booker shared the video (see below) on Facebook and recounted the story. He explained that on Saturday while walking with a friend, he was confronted by an inebriated man wearing a Confederate flag hat who told them they were on private property. Booker and a friend had taken a path on private property they were unaware they didn’t have permission to cross. As he and his friend were leaving, according to Booker, they encountered several more angry white men and the men then attacked them from behind.
“The five were able to easily overwhelm me and got me to the ground and dragged me pinning my body against a tree as they began pounding on my head and ripped off some of my hair, with several of them still on top of my body holding me down,” Booker wrote in the post. He even alleged one of the perpetrators jumped on his neck. The men can also be heard shouting racist comments at someone behind the camera, referring to them as a “nappy-head b****.”
Posted by Vauhxx Rush Booker on Sunday, July 5, 2020Numerous passersby who heard the commotion tried to help as the alleged attackers pinned Booker against a tree and told them, “we’re going to break his arms,” while instructing their pals to “get a noose,” Booker wrote. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources responded to the scene according to Booker, but they “refused to arrest any of these individuals.”
Booker, who is traumatized by the incident, shared his story out of concern for the safety of other Black people should they cross the path’s of the perpetrators again. “I don’t want to recount this, but I was almost the victim of an attempted lynching,” Booker wrote on Facebook. “I don’t want this to have happened to me or anyone."
Posted by Vauhxx Rush Booker on Sunday, July 5, 2020Posted by Vauhxx Rush Booker on Sunday, July 5, 2020[via]
|Mon, July 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM|Send Blog · Share on Facebook · Bookmark on Delicious
With artists like Trae Tha Truth heading into the booth to address our current social issues, music with a message is needed now more than ever in the hip-hop community. That's why we give major props to Terrell Hines and Vince Staples for coming together on a powerful collaboration titled "Get Up."
Image: Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagicThe song is actually a remix to a standout track off Hines' 2019 EP St. Mark Rd. Adding Staples will surely garner more attention to the song without question, but the real star here is the message that both artists are able to articulate. In short, the song was already a gem in its original form, but the rerelease speaks more towards the current times we're in right now and confirms the notion that sometimes two great minds on a record are better than one.
Listen to "Get Up" by Terrell Hines and Vince Staples below, and be sure to check for Portal One: The Mixtape when it arrives on August 7 via Capitol Records.
I've been waitin'
Too much time, I'm impatient
Pressure risin', I might go diamond
Outcasted, I might get blasted
Move softly, bright lights, get off me
Unfortunately, I'm fortunate
Wealth is still disproportionate
Bloodshot eyes behind Porsche tints
Find me on the nine-one freeway
Deep thoughts of my life on replay
Pack heat, you know fat meat greasy
They say life too short, but not easy
I say what I want, I'm not P.C
You know black folks killed when police please
Just seen one on the TV...make about three this week